Galaxy Sugar Cookie Bars
Take yourself to the next galaxy with these super soft cookies piled with vanilla buttercream frosting and lots of sprinkles! So easy to bake since it's in bar form. Galaxy Sugar Cookie Bars are great for a drop-off surprise to friends or family and just so happen to go well with any of our Barnie's flavored coffees. Add in a space movie, and we just gave you a perfect idea for any night during Covid19.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
COOL TIME: 60 minutes
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 2 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¾ cup Butter
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- Sprinkles (we used purple and pink)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SUGAR COOKIE BAR DOUGH:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13 pan or baking dish by lining it with parchment paper or lightly spraying with cooking spray.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and softened cream cheese until super smooth. Mix in the sugar, and be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to get every last bit of deliciousness.
3. Press the dough into an even layer in a 9×13 inch pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting (recipe follows) and cutting.
1. Use an electric mixer to whisk the butter until it's smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla then heavy cream until all the ingredients are added to the bowl, and your frosting is smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
2. Immediately put the pan in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
3. After 1 hour, frost the cooled cookie bar. Add the sprinkles as desired. We added a lot to get the galaxy experience. Cut and serve.
The trick to making chewy sugar cookie bars is to use an additional egg and to put the bars immediately in the fridge after you pull them out of the oven.