Recipes written and developed by Sheila Chandler of The Kitchen Chandler thekitchenchandler.com and @thekitchenchandler
Her gift to us this Memorial Day are these three recipes from her old tattered recipe book, that is one of her kitchen treasures. Sheila’s great grandfather, both of her grandfathers, her father, and husband have all served in the United States Military, so she gladly honors the sacrifices made by the men and women who have served this great country by offering up the best from her kitchen. We salute them and thank them for their willingness to serve.
Broccoli Cranberry Salad
- 1 head of broccoli – washed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup dried Ocean Spray Craisins cranberries
- 1/2 chopped pecans or walnuts
- 8 oz. freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar (can substitute honey)
- 1/2 crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
In a small bowl or mason jar, mix together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Whisk well to combine. Cover and place the dressing in the fridge while you assemble the salad.
If using a whole head of broccoli, wash and pat dry. Remove the florets from the crown. Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces and place in a nice large salad bowl. (You will need plenty of room for tossing.) Add the chopped onion, Craisins, nuts, and cheese. Toss gently several times to combine.
About a half hour before serving, pour the dressing over the broccoli salad and toss gently several times. Right before serving, sprinkle the bacon over the top, if using.
Italian Pasta Salad
- 3 cups cooked pasta
- 1 cup cooked cheese tortellini, rinsed and cooled
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese cubes
- 7 oz cubed pepperoni
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Good Seasons Italian Vinaigrette, prepared
- 3 tablespoons McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil, optional for garnish
Toss the pasta, cheeses, pepperoni, and all veggies together in a large bowl. Add the Italian dressing. Sprinkle the Salad Supreme over the top and toss gently to combine. Chill for at least an hour to allow the flavors to develop. Top with basil if using.
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (+/-)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- paprika for garnish
Slice the eggs in half and place the yolks in a separate bowl. Mash them with a large fork to a fine crumble. Add about half of the mayonnaise and the relish. Stir gently to combine, then add the mustard and sugar.
Add the remaining mayonnaise a little bit at a time, stirring until the filling is thick, fluffy and smooth. (Add more mayo to get to the consistency you like, but do so slowly. You don’t want this to be runny.)
Fill the egg white halves with the filling by either dropping spoonfuls into the halves, or by filling a plastic baggie fitted with a piping tip and piping into the halves.
Sprinkle with paprika and chill before serving.