The kids are out of school for the summer and one way to keep them from getting bored is to keep them crafting! Both my kids love to spend time coloring, painting, and just creating. When crafting with my kids, I always try to keep it simple. Now you can learn how to make a butterfly that is easy and only requires a few supplies. Using coffee filters, color markers and by dripping on water, you, too, can create a tie-dyed effect for butterfly wings.
What you need:
- Coffee Filter (we used a large size to create our butterflies)
- Pipe Cleaners (assorted colors)
- Watercolor Markers (or paints and brushes)
- Spray Bottle or Eye Dropper (whichever you prefer)
1. Give each child a coffee filter and have them color on it with markers. Encourage them to make designs and color the entire coffee filter.
2. Have them hold up the coffee filter and make sure to cover all the white.
3. With an eyedropper, drop a few drops of water lightly. Watch the colors spread and run together.
4. While your filter is drying add eyes to your clothespin and get your pipe cleaner antennas ready.
5. Once the filter is dry, bunch it in the middle and wrap a pipe cleaner around it. Welcome your new colorful butterfly to the world!