Chocolate Cherry Coffee Cake featuring Sweetheart Blend Coffee
The combination of chocolate and cherries is so simply decadent that this dessert has many fooled. Combining the flavors of our Sweetheart Blend coffee with cherries, chocolate and brandy makes this coffee cake unforgettable. It’s so simple and easy to make, but tastes like you were in the kitchen for hours!
SERVINGS: 8 servings
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 50 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
INGREDIENTS FOR BOTTOM LAYER:
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon Barnie’s Sweetheart Blend Coffee
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (you can use white vinegar if you don’t have apple cider vinegar in your kitchen)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract (optional if you’d prefer almond extract)
- 1 cup of fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- ⅓ cup of chocolate chips
INGREDIENTS FOR TOP LAYER:
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch square cake pan. (you can also use a circle pan...whatever your preference) with parchment paper for easy removal and grease the paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, light brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients including milk, oil, vinegar, and extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture until completely combined.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into your prepared pan and set aside.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TOP LAYER:
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the top layer including flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Mix together until fully combined.
- Using your clean hands, crumble the topping over the batter. Bake for 50-55 minutes. The top should be a nice golden brown color and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Let it cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!