Valentine's Day Chocolate Cake
This Valentine's Day share the love with your one and only by making a delicious heart-shaped chocolate cake! It's the perfect couple: Sweetheart Blend coffee, with its notes of chocolate, cherry and brandy, paired with sinful double chocolate cake and sweet cream cheese icing.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35-65 minutes
Serves: 12-16 servings
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling coffee (super BCT fan Joan Harper suggests German Chocolate Cake)
- In order to make your heart-shaped cake, you will need (1) 9x13 inch round cake pan and (2) 8-inch square cake pans
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (we used a little red food coloring to make pink icing)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) powdered sugar
- red sprinkles as desired
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour your 9x13 inch round cake pan and both 8-inch square cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, until everything is blended.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and whisk to combine. Then whisk in the boiling water.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Then pour the batter into your prepared pans and transfer them to the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes in the pans on a wire rack, then loosen the edges by running a knife along the sides, turn the cakes out onto the racks and cool for at least another hour, and frost with icing.
- Leave the square cake whole, but cut the round cake in half. With the square cake oriented as a diamond, place the flat side of each half-round against each of the top sides of the square cake to make a heart shape. Trim slightly, if needed. The frosting will conceal the seams and more.
- Prepare the frosting with a food processor or mixer. Beat the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla, and salt together until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add powdered sugar and mix until very fluffy. We added a slight amount of red food coloring to make pink icing.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake (to keep cake crumbs from appearing in the final layer of frosting). Then spread a second and final layer of frosting. Decorate with sprinkles as desired.